Full Time Assistant Financial Analyst in Portland Metro at City of Portland
Assistant Financial Analyst
City of Portlandhttp://www.portlandoregon.gov/jobs
Location: Portland Metro
Type: Full Time
The City Budget Office manages the City budget process. We are looking for highly motivated Assistant Financial Analysts (AFAs) who are eager to learn about the technical and the policy aspects of municipal budgeting. AFAs are involved in all phases of the budget process, from the development of operating and capital budgets to the formulation of policy recommendations for the Mayor and Council. Assistant Financial Analysts are assigned a portfolio of bureaus and are responsible for providing the oversight necessary to give the Mayor and Council independent and objective analyses of significant City issues. Depending on the specific bureau assignments, analysts may need to become familiar with the formulation of rate models and the development of financing plans for capital projects.
City Budget Office analysts are expected to work closely with bureau staff to provide assistance in managing funds and making sound business and financial decisions. The work requires an understanding of budget and finance principles, methods, and techniques; objective policy analysis; and the ability to present fact-based recommendations to bureau management and elected officials. The Assistant Financial Analyst, under general supervision, is expected to carry out individual responsibilities with initiative and creativity while exercising professional judgment and strong communication skills.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and methods of budget development and management.
- Knowledge and experience using and operating of computers and standard business software.
- Ability and experience performing analyses of financial, budgetary, policy, operational, and organizational problems; evaluate alternatives; and reach sound, logical, fact-based conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, explain, and apply relevant laws, regulations, ordinances, policies, and procedures.
- Ability and experience preparing clear, concise, and comprehensive reports, correspondence, and other documents involving technical, budgetary, and financial data in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Ability to communicate with directors, managers, Commissioners, and elected officials on budgeting and financial matters.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant’s training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and professional résumé online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the “To Qualify” section above.
Your résumé and cover letter should be no more than a total of four (4) pages combined.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted online. The recruitment will close no later than 4:30 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran’s Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran’s Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.
Veteran’s Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 4:30 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.
Tamara Larison, Senior Human Resources Analyst, Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Salary: $4,106.00 - $6,324.00 Monthly
Application Link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/1222479/assistant-financial-analyst/agency/portlandor/apply