Part Time Clinical Laboratory Inspector – part-time in Portland Metro at Oregon Health Authority
Clinical Laboratory Inspector – part-time
Oregon Health Authorityhttp://www.oregon.gov/OHA/Pages/index.aspx
Location: Portland Metro
Type: Part Time
The Clinical Laboratory Inspector performs the following functions:
• Performs surveys and assists in the administration of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) program for the Laboratory Compliance (LC) section of the Oregon State Public Health Laboratory (OSPHL).
• Assigns and tracks all clinical laboratory inspections to assure they occur on schedule and to assure complaints against clinical, drug testing and health screen testing permit laboratories are investigated timely.
• Performs inspections for clinical laboratory testing, non-medical substance of abuse testing and health screen permit testing.
• Decides if deficiencies pose an immediate jeopardy to the public and take action that may include the laboratory to stop testing until compliance can be assured.
• Determines if deficiencies will be cited at the standard level, condition level or if the problems are immediate and serious and there is the potential for a negative patient outcome.
• Determines if the laboratories allegation of compliance or plan of correction is adequate to correct the cited deficiencies.
• Develops checklists or job aids to inspect non routine specialties such as cytogenetics, histocompatibility, nuclear medicine, electron microscopy, DNA and PCR or substance of abuse testing, to assure regulations are being met.
• Determines if new testing using new methodologies developed by a laboratory, produces accurate results and that the test is developed on good scientific principles.
• Develops and monitors the section quality assurance parameters required by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
• Maintains proficiency in Medicare/Medicaid laboratory billing requirements in order to consult with the laboratories to assure appropriate laboratory specialty certification.
• Makes final decisions on difficult laboratory compliance issues, especially in the absence of the manager.
• Applies to all federal regulations for clinical laboratory testing and enforces state statute and rules for substance of abuse and health screen testing services for 2400 laboratories.
• Guides the Administrative Specialist assigned to the section and helps them answer technical questions addressed to the program.
• Speaks at professional meetings to train and advise clinical laboratories on the changes or updates to the federal and state regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Five (5) years of experience doing administrative research that included compiling and evaluating facts to recommend management action, or decide compliance or eligibility with program guidelines and regulations. Three of the five years must be above the technical support level.
Bachelor’s degree in Behavioral Science or related field and two years of the specified experience
OSPHL obtains a baseline screen for tuberculosis exposure for all employees using a blood test. Employees working with TB or other respiratory specimens are screened periodically for TB using a blood test.
The following skills, knowledge and experience are needed at the time of hire:
• Must possess considerable knowledge pertaining to all areas of clinical laboratory testing and statefederal laboratory regulations.
• Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological science, or medical technology AND four years of progressively responsible clinical laboratory technology work or a satisfactory equivalent combination of experience or training.
• Qualify as a technical supervisor in the common laboratory specialties for CLIA.
• Strong knowledge and experience in the specialties of hematology, immunology, chemistry and microbiology and immunohematology.
• Strong knowledge of the CLIA regulations
• Experience performing laboratory inspections or participating in the inspection process.
• Preference will be given to certified medical technologists with supervisory or managerial experience. Duties include the use of personal computer software programs.
Please visit www.oregonjobs.org to complete the online application
Visit the following link: http://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oregon/jobs/1258247/compliance-specialist-3-clinical-laboratory-inspector
Salary: $2,179.00 - $3,190.00 Monthly
Application Link: http://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oregon/jobs/1258247/compliance-specialist-3-clinical-laboratory-inspector