Full Time Communications Project Associate – Garbage and Recycling in Portland, Oregon at Metro
Communications Project Associate – Garbage and Recycling
Location: Portland, Oregon
Industry: Communications, Government, Jobs
Type: Full Time
Metro is looking for a project management and communications professional to join the garbage and recycling communications team responsible for all public communication on behalf of Metro’s Property and Environmental Services (PES) department.
The team’s role is to serve the public around greater Portland by building trust and raising awareness about Metro’s role in managing and delivering services within the garbage and recycling system. The team is responsible for ensuring that Metro’s diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy is a visible and meaningful component of the department’s public-facing communications work including the following programs:
- Ask Metro media and community engagement campaign
- Dedicated call-in number and web resources for recycling and disposal information
- Hazardous waste disposal and collection events
- MetroPaint recycled paint program and retail products
- Recycling and environmental education programs
- Community grant program
- GLEAN art program
The team is also responsible for development and distribution of news articles, videos, and social media content to fully support the department’s communications goals.
The Communications Project Associate – Garbage will join a team of highly capable communications professionals. The successful candidate will be directly responsible for ensuring that the garbage and recycling communications team delivers time and cost efficiencies across every communications project in the department’s portfolio. In addition to project management experience, the candidate must have demonstrated experience supporting communications projects, developing and administering vendor contracts and procurement processes in either a non-profit, corporate, or government institution.
Strong consideration will be given to a candidate’s demonstrated skills collecting and reporting analytics from the content generated and distributed by the team across Metro’s digital channels. The candidate should have demonstrated experience working with commonly used digital platforms such as Google Analytics to extract and report key analytics to Metro staff. Financial management skills including work with enterprise accounting systems and ability to distribute monthly and quarterly financial reports is a plus but not a requirement.
1) Electronic application, 2) a resume, 3) a cover letter describing your qualifications as they relate to the duties of this position, and 4) answers to the supplemental questions.
We hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.Essential Job Duties
An employee in this position must be able to perform the essential job duties listed below with or without reasonable accommodation; however, this list is not intended to include all of the specific tasks which an employee in this position may be expected to perform. The person joining this team is expected to carry out their individual responsibilities as a creative leader, strategic thinker, and a resourceful problem solver.
The position will work directly with the communications supervisor (team lead) to develop and implement the following tasks:
- Coordinates with Communications and PES department staff during project intake and annual project forecasting to affirm project goals, timelines, and budgets pertaining to communications deliverables
- Develops and administers scope of work agreements, purchase orders and personal service agreements in executing communications projects based on direction from team project-leads
- Manages timelines for all project-level work; communicates schedule updates to Communications team and PES department teams
- Collects, reviews, and reports web and social media analytics to inform project team, PES and Communications departments and Metro goals and measures
- Works with communications supervisor to review and report project-level financials to internal staff
- Collects and recaps project activity including maintenance of archival project documents, photos, and research reports
- Develops and manages all project-level documents including project charter, project plan (Metro process), and after-action reporting to internal staff and external stakeholders
- Provides light support to team project leads on graphics and printed material requests to Metro’s core creative team
- Designs and administers Sharepoint project sites
- Serves as point person for translation services for team projects
- Manages translation of project-level content with a pre-designated contractor
This position is represented by AFSCME 3580 and is classified as an Associate Public Affairs Specialist (click to read the full classification). Classification descriptions are typically written broadly and do not include the specific duties and responsibilities of the positions.Minimum Requirements
Two years professional level experience in Project Management work (related to communications or public affairs) in a government , corporate or non-profit organization (including experience with project management, budgeting and procurement processes) and a Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public affairs, project management, or related degree or any combination of experience and education which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
Please highlight all pertinent experience and education in your application.
While not required candidates with the PMP certification will receive additional consideration.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
This position requires knowledge of;
- project management principles and practices
- structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
- publication design and production principles and procedures
- media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods, including social media and online communications strategies
- contract administration policies and practices
- Associated Press style
This position requires skill in the use of;
- computers and software related to project management, online media, finance, presentation and design programs (such as Adobe Creative Cloud)
- oral and written communication
This position requires the ability to;
- use advanced communication and analytical methods to solve complex project-level problems
- plan and design media and advertising programs, including objectives, procedures and evaluation techniques
- communicate effectively with small and large audiences
- interact effectively with personnel at all levels
- fulfill Metro’s employee values of public service, excellence, teamwork, respect, innovation and sustainability
Online applications: Metro accepts job applications online. If you need assistance or accommodation with your application, or access to a computer, call 503-797-1570.
Accommodation: Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process. To obtain confidential assistance please contact Human Resources (503) 797-1570.
Public Employees Retirement System (PERS): New employees will pay the employee portion of the PERS contribution.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans’ preference when applying for Metro positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans’ preference for this job, please provide qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Criminal background check: In order to protect the well being of its employees, the public and agency assets, Metro may conduct criminal background checks on candidates selected for Metro positions. Criminal convictions do not necessarily preclude employment and will be considered on a case by case basis. A background check will only be conducted if you are selected as a finalist for a position. If selected as a finalist, you will be contacted by Human Resources prior to the initiation of a background check.
Equal employment opportunity: All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability for which a reasonable accommodation can be made or any other status protected by law. Assistance will be gladly provided upon request for any applicant with sensory or non-sensory disabilities.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Salary: $57,678.40 - $77,334.40 Annually
Application Link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oregonmetro/jobs/1953367/communications-project-associate-garbage-and-recycling?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs