Full Time Director of March Band in Portland Metro at Linfield College
Director of March Band
Location: Portland Metro
Industry: Education, Jobs
Type: Full Time
Linfield College located in McMinnville, Oregon is currently recruiting to fill an opening for a new position, Director of Marching Band. The Director of Marching Bands is a full-time, position responsible for launching the marching band program in the Fall of 2018. This position entails establishing relationships with band programs in regional high schools, recruiting and training student participants, developing student leadership, planning all aspects of band performance, planning and budgeting for program operations, and assessment of band activities. Collaboration with the music department, communications and marketing offices, department of athletics, and admission department is essential for the success of this program. The Linfield College Marching Band is a co-curricular program, open to all students, that performs at campus athletic events, college events, and other events both on and off campus. A review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted through Friday, October 27, 2017.
Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm. Flexibility is required to accommodate occasional night and weekend activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop recruitment strategies, in partnership with the Office of Admission,
to enroll qualified members of the marching band, including identifying and visiting with prospective students, attending regional band performances, visiting high school band programs, and establishing professional relationships with pacific northwest high school band directors.
• Plan all marching band activities and performances, including selecting music, planning, composing and arranging drills and field activities. This includes developing a flag corps, pep band and other related activities.
• Manage all band operations, including budgeting, supervision of any employees or student leaders and strategic planning for program in keeping with the strategic plan for the college.
• Collaborate with campus colleagues in Enrollment Management and Admission, Student Affairs, Music Department, Conference Services and Athletics and off-campus entities to ensure success of program.
• Develop student leadership and promote student engagement through membership in college marching band
• Work with college relations, communications and marketing department and advancement when requested to enhance outreach of college.
• Bachelor’s degree in music or music education.
• Experience directing a marching band at either the college or post-secondary level.
• Demonstrated understanding of admission and recruitment process at college level.
• Must have and maintain a valid Oregon driver’s license.
• Master’s degree in music, music education, or related field.
• 3-5 years or more of college or post-secondary marching band experience.
• Experience developing marching drills and exercises and teaching these for
• Understanding of, or experience with drum line or section.
• Ability to develop marching performances enhanced with a flag corps, dance team or other related performance groups.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities necessary to developing a strong marching band program from inception to performance.
• Proven ability to work with diverse student populations of students to build a culture of inclusiveness in program.
To apply, please complete the online application and attach the following documents. Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted through Friday, October 27, 2017.
• Cover Letter
We Value Diversity: Linfield College is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.
Salary: Hiring Salary between $58,000 - $63,000
Application Link: http://linfieldjobs.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php