Full Time Engineer – Fire Protection (REVISED Closing Date) in Portland, Oregon at Portland Fire & Rescue
Engineer – Fire Protection (REVISED Closing Date)
Portland Fire & Rescuehttp://www.portlandoregon.gov/jobs
Location: Portland, Oregon
Industry: Government, Health Care, Jobs
Type: Full Time
The City of Portland is currently recruiting to fill a Fire Protection Engineer vacancy within Portland Fire & Rescue. Under the direction of Portland Fire & Rescue, the incumbent will be responsible for reading and interpreting architectural plans and computer fire modeling for highly complex projects, which includes high rise buildings, commercial complexes, fuel tank farms and hazardous materials facilities; and reviewing fire protection and life safety systems (such as fire sprinklers and fire pumps, fire alarm systems, smoke removal systems, fire resistive construction, means of egress, etc.).
The Fire Protection Engineer will manage a variety of difficult and highly complex projects that may involve hazardous materials, high rise structures, cross laminated timber structures and fire protection equipment. The ideal candidate will have experience in reviewing plans, and interpreting and identifying code deficiencies. They will also have experience in reading, interpreting and explaining technical information and code requirements by oral, written or graphic means. This position is responsible for completing fire and life safety plan reviews, defining issues, collecting data, establishing facts and drawing valid conclusions, as well as considering a variety of perspectives and evaluating alternative solutions. The job will include reading, analyzing and interpreting codes and national standards, architectural and engineering documents, structural and material specifications, and testing methodologies and results. The successful candidate must be able to gather complex data from a variety of sources, identify data that is applicable to a defined situation, and use that data to engage in creative and effective problem solving. They must also have the ability to work with multiple stakeholders who may often have conflicting goals and present information in both written and oral format to a diverse audience.
This position is represented by The City of Portland Professional Employees Association (COPPEA). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840 and click on the appropriate link.
- Knowledge and experience applying fire protection engineering principles, practices and fundamentals that relate to municipal infrastructures.
- Knowledge and experience applying fire and life safety codes and standards relating to municipal infrastructures.
- Knowledge and experience applying the principles of design, construction and maintenance of buildings and structures as they relate to present-day fire safety and building codes.
- Knowledge and experience applying the federal, state and local laws and regulations relating to structural design of buildings and structures.
- Knowledge and experience working with new and non-traditional building materials and how they react in a fire or emergency situation.
- Knowledge and experience working with current and state-of-the-art computer programs and computer technology used in solving fire protection engineering problems.
- Knowledge of multi-disciplinary aspects of engineering; including chemical, mechanical, civil and electrical engineering as it relates to fire protection and life safety.
- Experience communicating effectively with a diverse population in a professional and friendly manner utilizing a wide range of expertise.
- Registered as a Certified Oregon Fire Protection Engineer;
- ICC Fire Plans Examiner Certification or Oregon Fire and Life Safety Plans Examiner;
- ICC Fire Inspector I & II Certification;
- ICC Building Plans Examiner Certification or Oregon A-Level Plans Examiner; and
- Oregon Inspectors Certification, within six months of hire date.
The Recruitment Process
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the “To Qualify” section above.
- Your résumé and cover letter should be no more than a total of four (4) pages combined.
If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran’s Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran’s Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.
Veteran’s Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.
John DiGrazia, Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human Resources
Salary: $43.91 - $53.36 Hourly
Application Link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor/jobs/1916718/engineer-fire-protection-revised-closing-date?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs