Full Time Legislative Aide State Representative Teresa Alonso Leon in Salem, Oregon at The office of State Representative Teresa Alonso
Legislative Aide State Representative Teresa Alonso Leon
The office of State Representative Teresa Alonso
Location: Salem, Oregon
Industry: Government, Jobs, Management
Type: Full Time
The office of State Representative Teresa Alonso Leon is seeking a full-time legislative assistant for the 2018 Legislative Session, beginning in January through March 11, 2018.
- Scheduling (25% of time)
- Manage office calendar, responding to in person, over the phone, and email meeting requests
- Schedule meetings with other legislators and lobby members at Representative’s request
- Office Administration Duties (20% of time)
- Assist in office administration. Receive and screen all incoming calls and visitors. Answer questions, process mail and respond to inquiries.
- Provide basic information and referral assistance to the public, state and other governmental agencies.
- Performs a variety of routine clerical/secretarial tasks such as filing, typing and photocopying.
- Constituent Responses (20% of time)
- Draft responses to constituents who write in with questions or comments on pending legislation that updates them on the status of the legislation and the Representative’s stance on the policy.
- Organize a database with information on constituent outreach
- Constituent Casework (10% of time)
- Aid constituents facing a multitude of problems navigate the political system.
- Community Outreach (15% of time)
- Aiding Chief of Staff with planning and execution of town hall programs, constituent coffees, and other events in district.
- Policy Research (5% of time)
- Aide Chief of Staff/First Legislative Aide with policy research for Representative’s legislation.
- Attend meetings/briefings with the Chief of Staff/First Legislative Aide or Representative to take notes and take point on relevant follow up.
- Other Miscellaneous Duties (5% of time)
- Recruiting and aiding in management of interns
- Staffing Representative in meeting and on the Chamber Floor when necessary
Desired Knowledge and Skills
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal
- Experience working with the public
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize projects
- Problem assessment and problem solving
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to research and analyze information
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Flexibility & adaptability
- Team player who is able to take direction
- Must be dependable and timely
- Decision-making skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in an office with high traffic and frequent interruptions
- Ability to communicate respectfully with all visitors and co-workers
- Intermediate level Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Bilingual skills strongly preferred but not required
Resumes and cover letters should be submitted by end of day, January 13th. Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and interviews will be scheduled accordingly with qualified applicants.
Email your cover letter and resume to: Leann Knapp, Chief of Staff, at Rep.TeresaAlonsoLeon@oregonlegislature.gov. Questions concerning the position should be directed to Leann Knapp via email or phone at 503-986-1422.
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Women, Underrepresented Communities, & Persons with Disabilities Are Encouraged to Apply
ADA Accommodations Will Be Provided Upon Request
Salary: Not Specified